Hire the best people, the right way.
Hiring employees who will excel at their jobs is critical to any pet store’s success. The interview process is governed by a number of labor laws that protect the rights of employment candidates. Therefore, it is critical that managers understand and follow these legal requirements carefully.
Not preparing well for the interview, asking prohibited questions, and taking notes that are irrelevant to job requirements and skills can make your store vulnerable to a lawsuit. By following the practices described in this course, managers can help protect themselves and your business from legal action. Although this chapter specifically addresses U.S. labor laws, it identifies best practices that are applicable to any pet store.
After completing this chapter, managers should be able to:
- Recognize the importance of labor laws.
- Understand the consequences of failing to comply with legal requirements.
- Distinguish between valid and invalid interview questions.
- Explain the principles of behavior-based interviewing.
- Identify legal and illegal interview questions.
- Describe the purpose of note taking.
The Interviewing Within the Law chapter addresses hiring practices managers should follow to protect their stores from legal action. Topics include key labor laws, how to approach interviews, job requirements and related skills, and why interviewers should take notes to document the process.