Improve small animal care and related product sales.
Millions of Americans own small animals as companion pets, which are popular first pets for children. Because their needs are not as well known as those of cats or dogs, it is particularly important to communicate a small animal’s care information to any customer considering purchasing one. This chapter will give associates a better understanding of small animals sold in pet stores and increase their confidence when selling small animals and/or related products.
Even if your store does not sell live pets, your team should know enough about their care to help customers diagnose problems and explain how to keep their pets healthy and happy. Pet Store Pro’s animal care chapters cover in-store care for nine pet categories and provide associates with a knowledge base they can share with customers.
After completing the Small Animals chapter, associates should be able to:
- Examine small animals and identify possible health problems.
- Care for the small animals in your store.
- Describe general small animal characteristics.
- Communicate their basic needs to customers.
- Recommend equipment and add-on sales items for small animals.
- Identify and distinguish species commonly sold in pet stores.
The Small Animals chapter covers the basics of caring for small animals in your store and communicating basic needs for different species to customers. Topics include feeding and nutrition guidelines, housing requirements, comfort and control, and cleaning and sanitation.