Improve turtle and tortoise care and related product sales.
There are approximately 250 recorded species of turtles and tortoises that make up the biological order called Chelonia. Chelonians are generally classified in three groups: Turtles (and terrapins) are primarily aquatic. Tortoises are mainly land animals. Box turtles are a separate group but share most characteristics with tortoises. This chapter will give associates a better understanding of turtles and tortoises sold in pet stores and increase their confidence when selling Chelonians and/or related products.
Even if your store does not sell live pets, your team should know enough about their care to help customers diagnose problems and explain how to keep their pets healthy and happy. Pet Store Pro’s animal care chapters cover in-store care for nine pet categories and provide associates with a knowledge base they can share with customers.
After completing the Turtles & Tortoises chapter, associates should be able to:
- Examine turtles and tortoises and identify possible health problems.
- Care for the turtles and tortoises in your store.
- Help customers start a successful turtle or tortoise habitat.
- Communicate turtles’ and tortoises’ basic needs to customers.
- Recommend equipment and add-on sales items for turtles and tortoises.
- Identify groups and species commonly sold in pet stores.
The Turtles & Tortoises chapter covers the basics of caring for turtles and tortoises in your store and communicating basic needs for different species to customers. Topics include feeding and nutrition guidelines, housing requirements, and cleaning and sanitation.