Improve bird care and related product sales.
Birds have been kept as pets for centuries around the world. Smaller birds make great pets for customers who are not home much during the day, but medium to larger breeds need a lot of attention and may not make ideal pets for everyone. This chapter will give associates a better understanding of birds sold in pet stores and increase their confidence when selling birds and/or related products.
Even if your store does not sell live pets, your team should know enough about their care to help customers diagnose problems and explain how to keep their pets healthy and happy. Pet Store Pro’s animal care chapters cover in-store care for nine pet categories and provide associates with a knowledge base they can share with customers.
After completing the Birds chapter, associates should be able to:
- Examine birds and identify possible health problems.
- Care for the birds in your store.
- Describe general bird characteristics.
- Communicate their basic needs to customers.
- Recommend equipment and add-on sales items for birds.
- Identify groups and species commonly sold in pet stores.
The Birds chapter covers the basics of caring for birds in your store and communicating basic needs for different species to customers. Topics include feeding and nutrition guidelines, housing requirements, cleaning and sanitation, socialization, and taming and grooming.