Connect with your team in ways that get results.
How managers communicate has a big impact on the success of your store. Communicating effectively with associates and other team members is critical to building strong working relationships and maximizing sales and productivity.
Managers are the most important influencers of employee on-the-job performance. This chapter discusses how to effectively relate to and connect with the employees you manage by using six essential communication skills.
After completing this chapter, managers should be able to:
- Identify the six essential communication skills to maximize productivity.
- Explain ways to enhance or maintain employees' self-esteem.
- Describe how to provide direction by focusing on specific behaviors and outcomes.
- Recognize appropriate reinforcement techniques.
- Use the active listening formula to respond to employee concerns.
- Formulate open- and closed-ended questions to obtain constructive feedback.
- Use the SMART formula to set short-term employee goals.
The Communication for Retail Managers chapter introduces six essential communication skills managers can use to develop employees and maximize their productivity. Topics include maintaining or enhancing self-esteem, using rewards and consequences to reinforce behavior, and setting goals and follow-up dates.
The chapter also includes a downloadable worksheet to help managers develop an action plan for setting and meeting goals.
Estimated time to complete:
- Online chapter 2.25 hours
- Chapter test 35 minutes