Improve freshwater fish care and related product sales.
Freshwater fish are the third most popular pet among American pet owners. Enthusiasts tend to keep multiple fish, creating ongoing opportunities for sales. Serving as a trusted source of information about this pet group can help your store stand out from the competition. This chapter will give associates a better understanding of freshwater fish and increase their confidence when selling fish and/or related products.
Even if your store does not sell live pets, your team should know enough about their care to help customers diagnose problems and explain how to keep their pets healthy and happy. Pet Store Pro’s animal care chapters cover in-store care for nine pet categories and provide associates with a knowledge base they can share with customers.
After completing the Freshwater Fish chapter, associates should be able to:
- Explain common stress factors for freshwater fish.
- Care for the freshwater fish in your store.
- Help customers start a successful freshwater fish aquarium.
- Communicate the basic needs for each species to customers.
- Recommend equipment and necessary items to keep and maintain freshwater fish.
- Identify groups and species commonly sold in pet stores.
The Freshwater Fish chapter covers the basics of caring for freshwater fish and invertebrates in your store and helping customers overcome the unique challenges to keeping this pet group healthy. Topics include aquarium set up and maintenance, filtration and water quality, feeding and nutrition guidelines, and customer problem solving.
This chapter also includes updated content that covers new technology in lighting and filtration for freshwater fish aquariums.