Start new hires out right with the fundamentals.
For people who love animals, a pet store is a great place to work. However, pet retail is also a highly specialized business with unique challenges. Your employees may be new or change frequently, but your customers expect to be treated professionally every time they step in the door.
The two-part Pet Retail Basics chapter teaches retail fundamentals to get new hires off to the right start. Lessons define concepts, explain why they are important and demonstrate how to apply them on the job. Part 1 focuses on attitude, appearance and what customers expect when they walk into a retail pet store. Part 2 helps new employees understand their influence on the success of your business.
After completing this chapter, associates should be able to:
- Understand the keys to succeeding at their jobs.
- Outline the basics of good personal grooming.
- Explain why being on time is important.
- Describe how to deal with different types of customers.
- Define the Customer SHOES model for excellent service.
- Demonstrate how to answer and work with customers over the phone.
- Explain common misperceptions about profit and how to protect your store’s profitability.
The Pet Retail Basics chapter is designed for new pet store employees, including many starting their very first job. Topics include how dress code and personal grooming affect customer impressions, why store policies matter to customers and co-workers, demonstrating a service attitude, working with customers and understanding profit.
The chapter also includes a downloadable activity workbook to help associates apply what they’ve learned to their own job.
Estimated time to complete:
- Online chapter 2 hours
- Chapter test 35 minutes